Firewood rules and regulations

EAB ALERT: The transport of ash wood and all firewood out of the City of Winnipeg has been banned, effective January 2018, following the discovery of the deadly Emerald Ash Borer beetle in the city. See FAQ EAB regulations for details.

Harvest locally, buy locally, burn locally

There are no regulations in Manitoba that set minimum standards for dimensions or quality of firewood offered for sale. It is up to the buyer to be informed about the choices available to them, and to ask sellers what kind of wood they are selling, how long it has been seasoned, and if they sourced their wood supply locally.

It’s also up to firewood users to be aware of the rules and regulations governing firewood permits and open air fire by-laws for their area, particularly for urban centres.

  • The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has strict rules about the movement of firewood, in areas where invasive pests have been found.
  • Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development has rules about permits and licencing for cutting firewood on Crown land, and a description of who needs a Timber Dealers Licence and how to get a Personal Use Timber Permit to cut your own firewood on Crown land. The cost of the permit depends on the volume of wood being harvested. Permits are no charge for status Indians to cut wood for their own use from the traditional use area of their First Nation.
  • Manitoba Sustainable Development has strict rules about transporting firewood.
  • The City of Winnipeg has restrictions on open-air fires, including fire pits, fire bowls, chimineas and other outdoor receptacles. Some uses require permits.
  • The City of Winnipeg’s by-laws on open fires is detailed in Section 72 of the Neighbourhood Livability By-Law.
  • Brandon Fire & Emergency Services has a quick list of open fire safety rules and permit requirements for the City of Brandon.
  • The City of Thompson has its rules for open air fires under By-Law 1809-2009.
  • The City of Portage la Prairie covers all the rules for open air fires in By-Law No. 04-8228.
  • The City of Selkirk’s open air fire rules are laid out in By-Law No. 4832.
  • Contact your local city or town office to ask about rules for using firewood in your area.
  • Rural municipalities may have their own rules and regulations regarding firewood cutting, transportation, and open air fires. This link will take you to a directory of Manitoba municipalities (starting on page 27), listing the offices and phone numbers so you can call and find out the rules for your area.

Manitoba parks and campgrounds

  • Campfires are permitted in designated firepits and must be extinguished when the campsite is empty.
  • Firewood, where provided, is for the campsite permit holders’ use only.
  • Removal of cut firewood from a provincial park is prohibited. 
  • Cutting or gathering living or dead wood for your fire is not allowed.
  • Burning of elm or ash is not permitted.
  • Do not transport firewood. Out-of-province firewood can spread harmful pests and destroy our forests.


Cutting your own firewood

  • Manitoba Sustainable Development issues Personal Timber Permits for cutting your own firewood on Crown land at designated sites. You can get permits from Manitoba’s District and Regional Offices. The permit allows you to cut up to 100 cubic metres wood that you can cut up for your own firewood. You are not allowed to sell it. The cost of the permit depends on how much wood you’re harvesting.
  • Manitoba Sustainable Development also issues Commercial Timber Permits for up to 300 cubic metres of wood from Crown land, which can be sold commercially as timber or firewood.